Teaching and Learning in Web-Based Courses
Getting Started: An Introduction to Choosing and Using Web Course Management Software
September 17 - 23, 2012 - CANCELLED
Cost: $100; $95 NLN members
Contact hours: 8.3
Instructor: Lana Richmond, MSN, RN
Learn about and practice using a course management software program. Learning activities include practice chats, development of a personal profile, and a scavenger hunt to locate technology tools and support services at your own location. You’ll experience being an online learner and a teacher who’s tuned in to technology, at the same time.
Requires 8-10 hours for review of course content and completion of designated activities. This class is a prerequisite for all other courses in the program. This course must be completed before enrollment in courses 2, 3, and 4.
- Identify required personnel to develop and offer a Web course.
- Recognize team members and roles.
- Locate resources in your workplace.
- Distinguish the function of discussion forums (bulletin boards), announcements, course mail, chats, and quizzes.
- Demonstrate uploading and attaching files.
- Design a personal profile.
Requirements for Completion:
- Read Modules 1, 2, 3 and 4.
- In Module 2 complete all of the “Try It Now” activities. Included in the “Try It Now” activities are:
- completion of the practice quiz
- sending a message to a classmate
- posting four messages in the Forum Topic (in Personal Information, Student Lounge, Favorite Places, and Muddiest Point)
- participation in a chat
- all of the remaining “Try It Now” activities should also be completed.
- In Module 4 complete and post the results of the scavenger hunt.
- Complete the course evaluation in the Original Test and Survey section.
Costs and fees
Indiana University School of Nursing alumni qualify for a 10 percent discount registration. To receive this discount, contact the Office of Lifelong Learning at (317) 274-7779 or by e-mail to censg [at] iupui [dot] edu.
For group and institutional discounts information, contact the Office of Lifelong Learning at (317) 274-7779 or by e-mail at censg [at] iupui [dot] edu.
Only one discount will apply.
The registration fee less a $30 administrative fee is refundable only if notification is received at least seven days prior to the beginning of a course.
A transfer fee in the amount of 10 percent of the amount paid will apply when a request to transfer from the currently scheduled course to the next scheduled course is received and approved.
The refund policy will still apply if participant later decides to drop the course.
To request a transfer, contact the Office of Lifelong Learning by email at censg [at] iupui [dot] edu or phone at (317) 274-7779.
The transfer fee and refund policies apply to individuals and groups taking the course for continuing nursing education.
Those persons successfully completing all four courses in Teaching & Learning in Web-based Courses Certificate Program will receive a certificate of completion in addition to their contact hour records.
The developers and the facilitator of this course does not have any conflict of interest. No commercial support or sponsorship was received for the development of this course. The expiration date for this course February 2013.
The Indiana University School of Nursing Office of Lifelong Learning is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission of Accreditation.
Registration for this course is limited to thirty (30) participants.