Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Nursing Leadership in Health Systems
The distance-accessible Nursing Leadership in Health Systems track prepares you for mid-level and senior nursing leadership in a variety of settings and roles:
- Academic settings
- Community health agencies
- Government/public policy organizations
- Corporate industry
- Private consultation
Coursework covers a wide range of administrative knowledge, from leadership and decision making to economics and organizational theory. Also, you are encouraged to tailor your elective courses to meet your specific career goals and emerging employment opportunities. Your educational experience includes an administrative practicum and research experience that allows you to develop practical leadership skills in a real work setting.
42 credit hours
525 practicum hours
MSN Core Courses (12 Credit Hours)
- N502 Nursing Theory I (3 cr)
- N504 Leadership for Advanced Nursing Practice (3 cr)
- R500 Nursing Research Methods I (3 cr)
- R505 Measurement & Data Analysis (3 cr)
NLHS Track Courses (30 Credit Hours)
- I640 Informatics in Nursing Leadership (3 cr)
- L581 Economic Analysis of Nursing & Health Systems (3 cr)
- L577 Leadership & Organizational Behavior (3 cr)
- L578 Financial, Legal, & Ethical Leadership (3 cr)
- L582 Nursing Leadership Practicum I (3 cr/150 practicum hours)
- L592 Nursing Leadership Practicum II (3 cr/150 practicum hours)
- L580 Nursing Leadership Practicum III (3 cr/225 practicum hours)
- L596 Seminar in Health Systems Leadership (3 cr)
- Elective Coursework (6 cr)
- Courses follow a traditional 16-week semester format; summer courses run across both summer sessions for 12 weeks.
- MSN Core Courses (12 credits) and NLHS Courses (30 credits) are taught online, with some synchronous class sessions that students attend from a distance via videoconference technology.
- Practicum experiences can be completed in your home community.
- Please see the Nursing Leadership Track Guide for more details on course formats and sample plans of study.
- Admission to the Nursing Leadership in Health Systems track is offered for Fall, Spring, and Summer terms.
- Application deadlines:
- Fall Start: July 15th
- Spring Start: December 1st
- Summer Start: April 1st
- Admission notifications are sent out 2-3 weeks after your completed application (including transcripts and recommendations) is received.
- You can find detailed application instructions by clicking the Apply Now button at right.