Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Nurse Educators play a vital role in developing the next generation of nurses. In the distance-accessible Nursing Education track, you will learn from nationally recognized faculty experienced in preparing both novice and experienced educators to:
- Design evidence-based nursing curriculum
- Develop innovative, effective teaching strategies
- Evaluate student learning
- Utilize best practicies in the field of nursing education
The Nursing Education track prepares you to launch a career as a nurse educator in a variety of healthcare contexts or settings:
- Community colleges
- Community health agencies
- Private industry
- Privately supported educational institutions
For Nurse Educators pursuing a career as a nursing faculty member, IUSON participates in the federal Nurse Faculty Loan Program which provides up to 85% loan forgiveness for service as a nursing faculty member at an accredited school of nursing.
As a graduate of this program, you are eligible for certification through the National League for Nursing as a Certified Nurse Educator.
42 credit hours
225 clinical/practicum hours
- N502 Nursing Theory I (3 cr)
- N504 Leadership for Advanced Nursing Practice (3 cr)
- R500 Nursing Research Methods (3 cr)
- R505 Measurement & Data Analysis (3 cr)
- Y515 Advanced Pathophysiology Lifespan (3 cr)
- Y612 Advanced Pharmacology Lifespan (3 cr)
- Y625 Advanced Physical Assessment Lifespan (4 cr)
- T601 Advanced Nursing Education (4 cr/75 clinical hours - direct patient care)
- T604 Curriculum in Nursing (3 cr)
- T620 Computer Technologies for Nurse Educators (3 cr)
- T618 Evaluation in Nursing (3 cr)
- T680 Nursing Education Practicum (4 cr/150 teaching practicum hours)
- Elective (3 cr)
- Courses follow a traditional 16-week semester format; summer courses run across both summer sessions for 12 weeks.
- MSN Core Courses (22 credits) are primarily taught online, with the potential for some synchronous class sessions. Synchronous sessions are able to be attended either in-person or via videoconferencing technology. Y625 Advanced Physical Assessment includes five on-site lab days that must be attended in-person.
- Nursing Education Courses (20 credits) are distance-accessible courses that combine online coursework with optional synchronous sessions that can be attended via videoconferencing technology. Additional optional on-site learning activities may be provided as well.
- Clinical/practicum experiences can be completed in your home community.
- Please see the Nursing Education Track Guide for more details on course formats and sample plans of study.
- Admission to the Nursing Education track is offered for Fall, Spring, and Summer terms.
- Application deadlines:
- Fall Start: July 15th
- Spring Start: November 15th
- Summer Start: March 15th
- Admission notifications are sent out approximately three weeks after your completed application (including transcripts and recommendations) is received.
- You can find detailed application instructions by clicking the Apply Now button at right.
Learn more about Nurse Educators
Brought to you by Johnson & Johnson