Getting Started in Nursing Professional Development: Focus on Facilitating Learning
Getting Started in Nursing Professional Development: Focus on Facilitating Learning (formerly Getting Started in Staff Education: A Key to Nursing Professional Development) was updated in 2018 include the latest standards of practice for nursing professional development generalists and specialists.
2021 dates are here! Registration is now open- see below for dates.
- February 1- March 14, 2021
- June 7- July 18, 2021
- September 7- October 17, 2021- Last session for 2021, register by September 5!
Make a confident transition from clinician or faculty member into a role in nursing professional development (NPD). In this facilitated online course, discover concepts, strategies, and practical tools that work in all clinical disciplines, presented in the NPD framework.
This course is a 6-week asynchronous online course. You do not need to be online at any particular time and must have all the course work completed by the course end date. We do require a minimum of 10 participants to hold the course. webinar presented by Bette Case Di Leonardi. See the Fees section on this page for more information.
Successful completion of this course counts towards the required continuing education hours in nursing professional development. See the American Nurses Credentialing Center's website for a complete list of criteria.
Objectives & How You Will Be Evaluated
At the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe multiple techniques for assessing learning needs of staff members
- Construct an effective plan to meet learning needs of staff members
- Identify issues and strategies in implementing learning activities in a clinical setting
- Create a sound approach to evaluating staff learning, considering process, content, and outcome evaluation
You must complete all required assignments by the course end date and the course evaluation to receive a contact hour record.
"I liked the structure of the program. The modules were information and easy to navigate. I also
enjoyed reading posts from other students and receiving feedback from the instructor."
"I have gained invaluable ideas regarding how to structure annual competencies, education fairs, and possibly how to develop and infrastructure to support development of an effective preceptor program."
"This course provided a wealth of information in a condensed easy to follow way."
"This was my first online course…I enjoyed learning from others across the country."
"It was almost like having a support group in which you learned from one another and also got reassurance that others were experiencing the same things."
"I will take away great knowledge about…providing and promoting a positive learning environment."
"I only wish I had known about this course earlier in my NPD career."
- February 1- March 14, 2021
- June 7- July 18, 2021
- September 7- October 17, 2021
Group rate of $350 available for 3 or more from the same organization, please email email@example.com for more information
Payment by credit card is due at the time of registration. Advance registration is required. For questions about payment (only), contact Melissa Kocias at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 812-855-4224.
For information on cancellation, refund, and transfer policies, please see the registration and policies page.
Bette Case Di Leonardi, PhD, RN-BC
Independent consultant in educational goals, competency management, and quality improvement
Faculty subject to change without notice.
The faculty/facilitators of this academic course do not have any conflict of interest. No commercial support or sponsorship was received for the development of this course. This course is reviewed and updated by the faculty/facilitator prior to the date of the offering.
Contact Hours & Disclosures
11.5 continuing nursing education contact hours.
Successful Completion of the Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) Activity
In order to receive contact hours for the CNE activity you must complete all required activities and complete the online course evaluation at the end of the course period.
Conflicts of Interest
A conflict of interest occurs when an individual has an opportunity to influence educational content about healthcare products or services of a commercial company with which they have a financial relationship.
None of the planners, presenters, or faculty disclosed a conflict of interest related to this activity.
Commercial Company Support
Commercial support is financial or in-kind contributions given by a commercial interest that are used to pay for all or part of the costs of a CNE activity.
No commercial support has been received for this activity.
The absence of commercial bias will be evaluated in the institute evaluation survey.
- *To receive group rates for 3 or more participants, be sure to email email@example.com prior to registration for more information.
- * IU Health employees, please email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to registration for discount information.
- Note: we are not able to issue refunds for the difference for those who register at the full rate and request the discounted rate after registration.
Registration for this course is limited to forty-five (45) participants.
Registration closes for each session as follows:
- February 1- March 14, 2021- registration closes January 29, 2021
- June 7- July 18, 2021- Registration closes June 4, 2021
- September 7- October 17, 2021- registration closes Sunday September 5, 2021