Strategic Plan 2016-2021
The Strategic Planning Committee, comprised of a cross-section of faculty, staff, and community members identified, developed, and refined our areas of focus and key organizational strategies for 2016—2021. With input and feedback gathered from our Board of Advisors and a broader group of faculty and staff, as well as external data sources, the team selected focus areas and strategies to advance IUSON's progress in becoming a preeminent leader in nursing education and research in the United States.
Focus Area #1: Educate nurses prepared to deliver state-of-the-art care, conduct cutting edge research, and lead significant healthcare improvements in Indiana and beyond.
This focus area ensures that IUSON prepares nurses with essential and cutting-edge skill sets to meet the needs of practice and acadmic settings in a rapidly evolving healthcare environment. Additionally, it builds support for our nationally recognized excellence in nursing education, research, and practice.
- Evaluate IUSON academic curricula for relevancy by matching our programs to national demands and priorities.
- Optimize resource allocation to create viable, high quality programs that meet the public needs for nursing care.
- Create educational programs and teaching strategies that are efficient, innovative, and effective.
- Grow our culture of excellence in education as evidenced in faculty as exceptional educators and academic leaders.
- Renew focus on attracting high quality, diverse students for all educational programs with an emphasis on graduate programs.
Focus Area #2: Recruit and retain high-quality faculty and staff.
This focus area develops IUSON's most important asset—our human capital. It defines recruitment and development plans to attract and retain top-notch talent—critical strategies to maintain our status as a top-notch research and education institution.
- Renew focus on attracting and retaining faculty and staff.
- Promote a positive, collaborative culture
Focus Area #3: Be a national leader in innovative science to improve patient outcomes.
This focus area creates an environment conducive to faculty research and scholarly activity. It includes detailed tactical initiatives to improve research support, diversity funding sources, and advance research translation into practice.
- Maximize Office of Research Support resources across the continuum from idea to dissemination.
- Strengthen portfolio of externally funded research to improve patient outcomes in Indiana, the nation, and the world.
- Increase breadth and depth of research funding from sources that provide indirect funds.
- Accelerate translation of research into practice and curriculum.
- Seek funding for and implement more competitive recruitment and retention packages for full-time research faculty.
Focus Area #4: Cultivate internal and external partnerships and initiatives to advance future approaches to research, education, and service.
This focus area supports educational, research, and service partnerships locally, nationally, and globally. It explores possibilities for IUSON faculty to provide products and services to external customers for enriching the School's mission and generating revenue. Finally, it positions IUSON to increase its visibility and activity in the policy space.
- Create IUSON Partnership and Innovation Team
- Develop collaborative partnerships based on IUSON mission, vision, areas of excellence, and needs of stakeholders locally, nationally, and globally.
- Deliver innovative services to external markets, focused on IUSON areas of excellence.
- Develop partnerships to support advocacy efforts that enhance the health and well-being of Hoosiers.
- Expand international initiatives in nursing education, research, and service.
Champions have been charged with leadership in each of the four focus areas to enable and monitor progress toward our goals and to foster regular and clear communication. Teams of faculty and staff are adding depth and definition to the goals and determining key benchmarks and timelines, creating a path to success. Next we will move to the implementation stage where we will see these initiatives come to life. This is an exciting time for the IU School of Nursing. Our faculty, staff, and community partners have charted a clear vision for continuing our national recognition for excellence in nursing education for students, research that informs health and healthcare, a great place for a professional career, and exceptional partnerships with our community.