Ever since its founding in 1914, the Indiana University School of Nursing has a rich tradition of leadership. Alumni and faculty have been influential in shaping the nursing profession by asking critical questions about practice and healthcare as a whole.
The School is celebrating 100 years of leadership. Please check back from time to time as we continue to add more photos of milestones, beloved faculty, memories, alumni, and much more.
The first commencement was held June 13, 1917, with five students receiving the Graduate Nurse Diploma from Indiana University. They included Marie Myrtle Barton, Lucy Ellen Gilley, Josephia Amada Grima, and Mary Ruth Gro.
On October 7, 1928, the Ball Residence was formally dedicated. With room for 165 students, the building also housed classrooms, laboratories, offices, a demonstration room, gym, library, living room, and lobby.
Cadet Nurse Corps
The Cadet Nurse Corps was formed at the school in 1943 in response to a national program created by the U.S. Surgeon General. Only seven of the 103 freshmen students entering the school in September 1943 did not join the corps. It lasted until 1945.
In 1957 Emily Holmquest was selected to guide the soon-to-be unified School of Nursing during its important evolutionary years. She would serve as dean until her retirement in 1973.
School of Nursing buildling, 1973
In 1970 groundbreaking for the new School of Nursing was held. The building was occupied in 1973 and dedication ceremonies were held in 1974.