At the IU School of Nursing, we recognize the rapidly increasing diversity of America and of higher education. Our faculty and staff are committed to programs and activities that promote an educational environment that values, respects, and reflects a global view of diversity. To fulfill this commitment, we strive to:
- Promote curriculum content that reflects a commitment to diversity
- Develop a comprehensive academic success model
- Recruit and retain students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Establish and maintain links to the diverse communities of the city, the state, the nation, and the world
- Identify resources that support diversity, promote academic excellence, and enrich our academic environment
- Promote research that reflects commitment to cultural diversity
- Promote culturally competent practice among students, graduates, and faculty
IU School of Nursing Diversity Advisory Council
The Diversity Advisory Council was established to insure that diversity initiatives are deeply imbedded throughout the School's culture and curriculum. The vision of the Council is to insure IU School of Nursing as a whole is thinking and operating strategically about diversity efforts, staying true to our standards of diversity and inclusion, and creating interventions, thoughts, attitudes, and initiatives that relate to diversity.
- Advise the dean and executive team on strategies to advance diversity.
- Develop, create, and implement a diversity and inclusion plan with our strategic planning goals in mind as well as measurable outcomes.
- Communicate the diversity priorities for the School.
- Review reports and make recommendations.
The Council is composed of nine faculty and staff members from our three IU School of Nursing campus locations - IUPUI, Bloomington, and Fort Wayne. These individuals were nominated for service and will serve a one-year term, and one ad-hoc member.
Robin Newhouse, IUPUI
Erika Klinger, Fort Wayne
John Simmons, Bloomington
Tiffany Holmes, IUPUI
Greg Carter, Bloomington
Barbara deRose, IUPUI
Ukamaka Oruche, IUPUI
Deserai Alexander, IUPUI
Kawther Hamash, Fort Wayne
Diane VonAh, IUPUI, Ad Hoc