BSN Traditional Track Honors Program
What is the Nursing Honors Program?
The Nursing Honors Program is designed for motivated students who welcome a challenge while developing skills in the areas of knowledge generation, utilization, and dissemination by working closely with a faculty mentor. Honors students complete 24 hours of undergraduate honors course work (many of which coincide with required coursework), and work in small teams with faculty research mentors during their regular course of study. This opportunity is an attractive option if you are interested in graduate studies, including masters and doctoral education.
Why pursue Nursing Honors?
After completing the honors program you will be well prepared for professional practice and graduate school based on your in-depth exploration of a nursing phenomenon of interest. Moreover, an honors designation demonstrates to potential employers or graduate school admissions committees that you sought enriching opportunities and challenges beyond the general curriculum.
Who is eligible for the Nursing Honors Program?
Students admitted to the IUPUI Honors College prior to Nursing School Admission are directly admitted into the Nursing Honors Program. The School of Nursing Honors Program satisfies these student's scholarship requirements and honors coursework.
What are some of the features of the Nursing Honors Program?
You will move through the honors program as a cohort. Your faculty mentor will help you learn about the research process as you work on small group projects.
You have the unique experience of working closely with research faculty. During that time, you will have the opportunity to:
- Discover the importance of research to the discipline and practice of nursing
- Pass the Protecting Human Subjects Research test
- Partner with faculty mentors on a research project and observe research team functions
- Learn to conduct a critical literature review
- Assist in obtaining Institutional Review Board approvals for research
- Collect and/or access data relevant to the identified research project
- Prepare and participate in data analysis
- Prepare/present a research poster and/or presentation at local, regional, or national venues
- Prepare and submit results for possible publication
Who can you talk to about the Nursing Honors Program?
Contact us at 317-274-2806 or firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate you're interested in speaking to an academic advisor about the Nursing Honors Program.