IU School of Nursing faculty publications
Outstanding scholarship from our nationally recognized faculty.
- Marcuccilli, L., Casida, J. J., Bakas, T., & Pagani, F. D. (2014). Family caregivers' inside perspectives: caring for an adult with a left ventricular assist device as a destination therapy. Progress in Transplantation, 24(4), 332-340.
- Scarton, L. J., Bakas, T., Poe, G. D., Hull, M. A., Ongwela, L. A., & Miller, W. R. (2014). Needs and concerns of family caregivers of American Indians, African Americans, and Caucasians with type 2 diabetes. Clinical Nursing Research. [Epub]
- Mosher, C. E., Ott, M. A., Hanna, N., Jalal, S. I., & Champion, V. L. (2014). Coping with physical and psychological symptoms: a qualitative study of advanced lung cancer patients and their family caregivers. Supportive Care in Cancer. [Epub]
- Sikorskii, A., Given, C. W., Siddiqi, A. E. A., Champion, V., McCorkle, R., Spoelstra, S. L., & Given, B. A. (2015). Testing the differential effects of symptom management interventions in cancer. Psycho -Oncology, 24(1), 25-32.
- Dreifuerst, K. T., & Kardong-Edgren, S. (2015). The road was paved with good intentions. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 11(1), 1-3.
- Ensrud, K. E., Guthrie, K. A., Hohensee, C., Caan, B., Carpenter, J. S., Freeman, E. W., . . . Joffe, H. (2015). Effects of estradiol and venlafaxine on insomnia symptoms and sleep quality in women with hot flashes. Sleep, 38(1), 97-108.
- Fargen, K. M., Blackburn, S., Deshaies, E. M., Carpenter, J. S., Jabbour, P., Mack, W. J., . . . Mocco, J. (2015). Final results of the multicenter, prospective Axium MicroFX for Endovascular Repair of IntraCranial Aneurysm Study (AMERICA). Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery, 7(1), 40-43.
- Kendrick, C., Johnson, A. K., Sliwinski, J., Patterson, V., Fisher, W. I., Elkins, G. R., & Carpenter, J. S. (2015). Hypnotic relaxation therapy for reduction of hot flashes in postmenopausal women: examination of cortisol as a potential mediator. International Journal of Clinical & Experimental Hypnosis, 63(1), 76-91.
- Fulton, J. S. (2015). Engaging in scholarly conversation. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 29(1), 5.
- Hendricks-Ferguson, V. L., Kane, J. R., Pradhan, K. R., Shih, C. S., Gauvain, K. M., Baker, J. N., & Haase, J. E. (2015). Evaluation of Physician and Nurse Dyad Training Procedures to Deliver a Palliative and End-of-Life Communication Intervention to Parents of Children with a Brain Tumor. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. [Epub]
- Unroe, K. T., Nazir, A., Holtz, L. R., Maurer, H., Miller, E., Hickman, S. E., Sachs, G. A. (2014). The Optimizing Patient Transfers, Impacting Medical Quality, and Improving Symptoms: Transforming Institutional Care approach: Preliminary data from the implementation of a Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Nursing Facility Demonstration Project. Journal of the American Geriatric Society. [Epub]
- Meek, J. A. (2015). 10 great places to go for free help! Clinical Nurse Specialist, 29(1), 19-21.
- Meek, J. A., Runshe, D., Young, J., Embree, J., & Riner, M. B. (2015). Creating a Faculty Community That Values Curricular Assessment and Improvement: One DNP Program's Experience. Journal of Professional Nursing, 31(1), 11-17.
- McLennon, S. M., Bakas, T., Jessup, N. M., Habermann, B., & Weaver, M. T. (2014). Task difficulty and life changes among stroke family caregivers: relationship to depressive symptoms. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 95(12), 2484-2490.
- Oruche, U. M., Draucker, C. B., Al-Khattab, H., Cravens, H. A., Lowry, B., & Lindsey, L. M. (2014). The Challenges for Primary Caregivers of Adolescents with Disruptive Behavior Disorders. Journal of Family Nursing. [Epub]
- Otte, J. L., Carpenter, J. S., Manchanda, S., Rand, K. L., Skaar, T. C., Weaver, M., Landis, C. (2014). Systematic review of sleep disorders in cancer patients: Can the prevalence of sleep disorders be ascertained? Cancer Medicine. [Epub].
- Hendricks-Ferguson, V. L., Sawin, K. J., Montgomery, K., Dupree, C., Phillips-Salimi, C. R., Carr, B., & Haase, J. E. (2015). Novice Nurses' Experiences With Palliative and End-of-Life Communication. Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing. [Epub]
- Whiteman, V. E., August, E. M., Mogos, M., Naik, E., Garba, M., Sanchez, E., . . . Salihu, H. M. (2015). Preterm birth in the first pregnancy and risk of neonatal death in the second pregnancy: A propensity score-weighted matching approach. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 35(1), 30-36.
- Riner, M. E. (2014). Using implementation science as the core of the Doctor of Nursing Practice inquiry project. Journal of Professional Nursing. [Epub].
- Tucker-Edmonds, B., McKenzie, F., Panoch, J. E., Wocial, L. D., Barnato, A. E., & Frankel, R. M. (2015). "Doctor, what would you do?": Physicians' responses to patient inquiries about periviable delivery. Patient Educ Couns, 98(1), 49-54.
- Carol A. Clark (2015) Evaluating Nurse Practitioner Students Through Objective Structured Clinical Examination. Nursing Education Perspectives: January 2015, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 53-54.
- Jeffries, P.R., Dreifuerst, K.T., Kardong-Edgren, S. & Hayden, J. (2015). Providing guidance for faculty development when initiating simulation programs: Lessons from the NCSBN national simulation study. Journal of Regulation in Nursing, 5(4), 17-23.
- Lasiter, S. & McLennon, SM (2015). Nursing Professional Capital: A Qualitative Analysis Journal of Nursing Administration 45(2), p 107–112.
- Chung, M. L., Bakas, T., Plue, L. D., & Williams, L. S. (2015). Effects of Self-esteem, Optimism, and Perceived Control on Depressive Symptoms in Stroke Survivor-Spouse Dyads. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. [Epub]
- Sullivan, B. J., Marcuccilli, L., Sloan, R., Gradus-Pizlo, I., Bakas, T., Jung, M., & Pressler, S. J. (2015). Competence, Compassion, and Care of the Self: Family Caregiving Needs and Concerns in Heart Failure. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. [Epub]
- Freeman, E. W., Ensrud, K. E., Larson, J. C., Guthrie, K. A., Carpenter, J. S., Joffe, H., . . . LaCroix, A. Z. (2015). Placebo improvement in pharmacologic treatment of menopausal hot flashes: time course, duration, and predictors. Psychosomatic Medicine, 77(2), 167-175.
- Jeffries, P., Thomas, Dreifuerst, K., Kardong-Edgren, S., & Hayden, J. (2015). Faculty development when initiating simulation programs: Lessons learned from the National Simulation Study. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 5(4), 17-23.
- Jeffries, P., Thomas, Dreifuerst, K., Hayden, J., Spector, N., Blegen, M., Silvestre, J., Barnsteiner, J., Lynn, M., Ulrich, B., & Fogg, L. (2015). Advancing nursing excellence for public protection. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 5(4), 1-2.
- Fulton, J. S. (2015). Working virtually. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 29(2), 64-65.
- Hensel, D., & Lyon, D. W. (2015). Interprofessional education at a pediatric optometry clinic. Nurse Educator. [Epub].
- Hickman, S. E., Keevern, E., & Hammes, B. J. (2015). Use of the physician orders for life-sustaining treatment program in the clinical setting: A systematic review of the literature. Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 63(2), 341-350.
- Kent, D., Long, M.A. & Bauer, C. (2015). Does colostomy irrigation affect functional outcomes and quality of life in persons with a colostomy? Journal of Wound Ostomy and Continence Nursing, 42(2), 155-161.
- Kent, D., Long, M.A. & Bauer, C. (2015). Revisiting colostomy irrigation: a viable option for persons with permanent descending and sigmoid colostomies. Journal of Wound Ostomy and Continence Nursing, 42(2), 162-164.
- Lasiter, S., & McLennon, S. M. (2015). Nursing professional capital: A qualitative analysis. Journal of Nursing Administration, 45(2), 107-112.
- Kalisch, B. J., Aebersold, M., McLaughlin, M., Tschannen, D., & Lane, S. (2015). An intervention to improve nursing teamwork using virtual simulation. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 37(2), 164-179.
- Meek, J. A. (2015). Nurse entrepreneur's guide to starting a business. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 29(2), 78-79.
- Miller, W. R., Bakas, T., Weaver, M. T., Buelow, J. M., & Sabau, D. (2015). The life changes in epilepsy scale: Development and establishment of content and face validity. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 29(2), 95-99.
- Salvadalena, G., Hendren, S., McKenna, L., Muldoon, R., Netsch, D., Paquette, I., Pittman, J., Steinberg, G. (2015). WOCN Society and ASCRS Position Statement on Preoperative Stoma Site Marking for Patients Undergoing Colostomy or Ileostomy Surgery. Journal of Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing. [Epub]
- Salvadalena, G., Hendren, S., McKenna, L., Muldoon, R., Netsch, D., Paquette, I., Pittman, J., Steinberg, G. (2015). WOCN Society and AUA Position Statement on Preoperative Stoma Site Marking for Patients Undergoing Urostomy Surgery. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing. [Epub]
- Terry, N., Priest, C., & Szotek, P. (2015). Google glass and health care: Initial legal and ethical questions. Journal of Health & Life Sciences Law, 8(2), 93-108.
- Storey, S., & Von Ah, D. (2015). Prevalence and impact of hyperglycemia on hospitalized leukemia patients. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 19(1), 13-17.
- Von Ah, D. (2015). Cognitive changes associated with cancer and cancer treatment: State of the science. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 19(1), 47-56.
- Torke, A. M., Bledsoe, P., Wocial, L. D., Bosslet, G. T., & Helft, P. R. (2015). CEASE: A Guide for Clinicians on How to Stop Resuscitation Efforts. Annals of the American Thoracic Society. [Epub]
- Lairson, D. R., Chung, T. H., Smith, L. G., Springston, J. K., & Champion, V. L. (2015). Estimating development cost of an interactive website based cancer screening promotion program. Evaluation and Program Planning, 50c, 56-62.
- Carter-Harris, L., Hermann, C. P., & Draucker, C. B. (2015). Pathways to a lung cancer diagnosis. Journal of American Association of Nurse Practioners. [Epub]
- Draucker, C. B., Johnson, D. M., Johnson-Quay, N. L., Kadeba, M. T., Mazurczyk, J., & Zlotnick, C. (2015). Rapid HIV Testing and Counseling for Residents in Domestic Violence Shelters. Women Health, 1-19. [Epub].
- Embree, J. L., Swenty, C. F., & Schaar, G. (2015). A balanced scorecard with strategy map: Measuring the value of a nursing sabbatical. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. [Epub]
- Ansel, B., Boyce, M. & Embree, J.L. (In Press). Extending peripheral intravenous catheter dwell time, best practice discussion. Journal of Infusion Nursing (These are two of our former CNS Students-Brenda Ansel and Michelle Boyce)
- Kahn, A., Lasiter, S., & Boustani, M. (2015). CE: Critical Care Recovery Center: An Innovative Collaborative Care Model for ICU Survivors. Am J Nurs, 115(3), 24-31.
- Pittman, J., Beeson, T., Kitterman, J., Lancaster, S., & Shelly, A. (2015). Medical device-related hospital-acquired pressure ulcers: development of an evidence-based position statement. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs, 42(2), 151-154.
- Von Ah, D., Spath, M., Nielsen, A., & Fife, B. (2015). The Caregiver's Role Across the Bone Marrow Transplantation Trajectory. Cancer Nurs. [Epub ahead of print]
- Priest, C. & Mugele, J. (2015). Sensitivity of Kaiser Permanente hazard vulnerability analysis tool to prioritize Ebola outbreak planning in a hospital emergency management program in Monrovia, Liberia. Presentation at the 19th World Congress on Disaster and Emergency Medicine. Cape Town, South Africa: April 23, 2015.
- Mugele, J. & Priest, C. (2015). Ebola at a Liberian hospital: A case study and comparison with US hospital systems. Presentation at the 19th World Congress on Disaster and Emergency Medicine. Cape Town, South Africa: April 23, 2015.
- Priest, C. & Garba, I. (2015). The role of a coordinated international rescue organization to re-spond to pandemics. Debate presented at the Teaching Skills in International Research Ethics (TaSkR) Workshop. Indianapolis, IN: April 17, 2015.
- Priest, C. (2015). Nursing Leadership's Role in Emergency Management & Ebola Preparedness. Presentation at Indiana Organization of Nurse Executives Annual Meeting. Plainfield, IN: April 10, 2015.
- Wonder, A. H., & Otte, J. L. (2015). Active Learning Strategies to Teach Undergraduate Nursing Statistics: Connecting Class and Clinical to Prepare Students for Evidence-Based Practice. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing. [Epub]
Something missing?Email and let us know at email@example.com. Thank you!