Teaching and Learning in Web-Based Courses
Teaching and Evaluation: Strategies for Web-Based Courses
October 8 - 14, 2012 - CANCELLED
Cost: $295; $285 NLN members
Instructor: Lana Richmond, MSN, RN
Prerequisites: Completion of first two courses
Learn how to use threaded discussion boards; chat rooms; learner assessment surveys; multimedia tools; and interactive teaching, learning, and evaluation strategies. Requires approximately 20 hours for interaction with course content and materials and participation in discussion and chat work groups.
- Identify strategies and resources to assess learners’ needs and to help learners assess their own needs.
- Summarize basic principles/theories of teaching and learning that are relevant to Web courses.
- Review teaching strategies and learning activities for a variety of learning outcomes.
- Identify 3 phases of formation of an online learning community: course start up, teaching-learning, and course wrap-up.
- Choose strategies for evaluating/assessing student learning in Web courses.
Requirements for completion
Your evaluation will be based on completing the following assignments:
- Read Modules 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
- Complete required online activities, forum topic postings
- Completion of the following: Focus on the Learner, Learner Assessment, Debate, Treasure Hunt, Round Robin, One Minute Paper, Essay Test, Muddiest Point, and Multiple Choice Test
- Sign-up and participate in required chat session (time/date to be determined)
- Complete the course evaluation in the Original Test and Survey section.
Costs and fees
Indiana University School of Nursing alumni qualify for a 10 percent discount registration. To receive this discount, contact the Office of Lifelong Learning at (317) 274-7779 or by e-mail at censg [at] iupui [dot] edu.
For group discounts information, contact the Office of Lifelong Learning by e-mail at censg [at] iupui [dot] edu or phone (317) 274-7779.
Only one discount will apply.
The registration fee less a $60 administrative fee is refundable only if notification is received at least seven days prior to the beginning of a course.
A transfer fee in the amount of 10 percent of the amount paid will apply when a request to transfer from the currently scheduled course to the next scheduled course is received and approved.
The refund policy will still apply if participant later decides to drop the course.
To request a transfer, contact the Office of Lifelong Learning by e-mail at censg [at] iupui [dot] edu or phone (317) 274-7779.
The transfer fee and refund policies apply to individuals and groups taking the course for continuing nursing education.
Those persons successfully completing all four courses in Teaching & Learning in Web-based Courses Certificate Program will receive a certificate of completion in addition to the contact hour records.
The developers and facilitators of this course did not have any conflict of interest. No commercial support or sponsorship was received for the development of this course. The expiration date for this course February 2013.
The Indiana University School of Nursing Office of Lifelong Learning is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission of Accreditation.
Registration for this course is limited to thirty (30) participants.