Strategic Plan 2010-2013
Vision, Mission & Values
Indiana University School of Nursing is leading with excellence in research and education, powered by innovation and partnerships.
The Indiana University School of Nursing exists to lead the "knowledge work" of nurses of today and tomorrow to positively influence the health of communities served by: inspiring learning through excellence in teaching; creating and advancing knowledge through science and research; shaping care through evidence-based practices, innovations and partnerships; and appreciating, developing, and recognizing faculty, staff, and students.
Respect, Responsibility, Trust, and Dialogue. These core values are fundamental to the success of the nursing profession and the Indiana University School of Nursing community. These values are the foundation for our work, how we interact with one another, and help guide the strategies we employ to fulfill our vision, mission, and strategic goals. We are supportive of one another’s efforts, loyal to one another, and care for one another both professionally and personally. We embrace, own, and are energized by these core values.
Strategic Goals for 2010-2013
- Advance IUSON’s reputation as a national leader in educational research, evidence-based educational practices, and progressive educational programs. (Teaching Excellence)
- Position IUSON as a nationally renowned leader in research and knowledge development. (Research Excellence)
- Develop new and sustain existing partnerships to support innovations in education and research that address current and future challenges in global health care and health professions education. (Innovations and Partnerships)
- Integrate the school’s core values into the culture of the organization. (Recognition)
- Acquire, allocate, and effectively manage resources to support the work of faculty, staff, and students. (Resources)
Strategic Goals and Objectives
Strategic Goal 1: Advance IUSON’s reputation as a national leader in educational research,
evidence-based educational practices, and progressive educational programs.
- Assess all curricula for competencies pertaining to cultural assessment and cultural
- Initiate curricula revisions in response to changes in the larger health care context (i.e., PhD program).
- Evaluate all learning environments (i.e., distributive) for student satisfaction,
faculty satisfaction, student/faculty ratios, student outcomes, pedagogies, and
- Integrate creative pedagogies and technological advances in both the undergraduate and graduate curricula (e.g., Practice-Education-Partnerships)
- Continue to support professional development of faculty in pursuit of teaching
- Continue to build on existing partnerships to advance innovative programming and
best educational practices (e.g., Fairbanks Simulation Scholars Program).
- Continue to develop RISE experiences in the undergraduate curriculum with emphasis on the international and research components.
Strategic Goal 2: Position IUSON as a nationally renowned leader in research and knowledge development.
- Continue to build research expertise and portfolios in behavioral oncology, quality
of life in chronic illness, nursing education foci and health disparities.
- Develop the research portfolio by increasing community-based participatory action research and health systems research conducted by faculty.
- Continue to support professional development of faculty in pursuit of research
- Increase the current number of externally funded research projects.
- Increase internal and external awareness of IUSON’s research programs by
messages disseminated through university, local, state, national, and international
Innovations and Partnerships
Strategic Goal 3: Develop new and sustain existing partnerships to support innovations in
education and research that address current and future challenges in global health care and health professions education.
- Develop and sustain clinical agency partnerships to support the teaching and
- Re-evaluate service as an area of excellence consistent with the standards of
excellence in teaching and research.
- Explore future strategic partnerships across disciplines and settings with respect to
teaching, research and service.
Strategic Goal 4: Integrate the school’s core values into the culture of the organization.
- Celebrate accomplishments and contributions of faculty, staff, alumni and students.
- Develop a plan to systematically raise awareness and secure awards at local, state,
regional, national, and international levels for faculty, staff, and students.
- Provide professional development opportunities for faculty, staff, and students to more fully assist them in integrating core values into their daily lives and the culture of IUSON.
Strategic Goal 5: Acquire, allocate, and effectively manage resources to support the work of faculty, staff, and students.
- Secure resources to update the physical environment of the school in order to
enhance efficiency, work flow, and more aesthetic surroundings.
- Continue to integrate input from faculty and staff in the acquisition, allocation, and
management of resources through new and existing governance structures.
- Seek additional financial resources to support the educational excellence of students
(e.g., scholarships, awards).
- Continue efforts to create and sustain a safe environment for faculty, staff, and
- Increase the number of externally funded projects to support innovative educational programs (e.g., DNP program).
- Increase the number of ethnic and minority faculty at IUSON.
- Secure funding opportunities for the international exchange of faculty and students.
- Participating in the campus-wide fundraising campaign through June 30, 2013 for the purpose of expanding the school’s donor base as well as raising money from major gifts and planned gifts to meet the priorities identified: student scholarships; faculty development; research; international learning experiences; and, educational excellence. The total goal for IUSON is $16 million dollars from philanthropic support and non-governmental grants.